We offer specialized support to Indigenous communities and entrepreneurs across Alberta. From startup to expansion, our resources are tailored to meet the unique needs of our Indigenous clients.
Services Available for Indigenous Entrepreneurs
- Personal one-on-one advice and guidance
- Informative guidebooks:
- Indigenous Business Planning Workbook: This workbook is designed to help Indigenous entrepreneurs create a business plan. Business plans are very important tools for people starting a business—they are like road maps that outline where you want to go and give the details on how you will get there.
- How to Become an Independent Contractor: This guide is a useful tool if you are looking to start any type of independent contractor business. At the end of each section, you will find a shortlist of Useful Resources.
- Funding programs for Indigenous entrepreneurs
- Connections to a network of service providers
- Free Indigenous Entrepreneur workshops
Services Available for Indigenous Communities
Including First Nations and Métis Service Providers
- Free small business training delivered in your community
- Presence at your tradeshows, job fairs, and other entrepreneurial-focused events
- Complimentary mail-outs of our small business guidebooks
Indigenous Procurement Program
Alberta’s single point of contact for procurement-ready Indigenous businesses
The Indigenous Procurement Program is designed to support procurement ready Indigenous businesses in successful participation in the Government of Canada’s procurement process. The program maintains a database of procurement ready Indigenous businesses and matches those businesses to relevant federal contracts.
Assistance in the bidding process is an integral piece of the program, as well as support on ensuring Indigenous Businesses that utilize our services meet all the requirements to become procurement ready. We are always up to date on available procurement opportunities and processes through the Federal Government for potential matching with a suitable Indigenous business.
- Educate Indigenous businesses on the federal procurement process
- Advise Indigenous businesses on available opportunities with the federal government
- Position Indigenous businesses for economic opportunities
- Open house opportunities with community to highlight the Indigenous Procurement Program and other Business Link Indigenous Services
Check out these links to begin the process of becoming procurement ready:
- Procurement Strategy for Aboriginal Business (PSAB) – become familiar with the Procurement Strategy for Aboriginal Business, aimed at increasing federal contracting opportunities for Indigenous business and to access to the overall federal procurement process.
- Buyandsell.gc.ca – official Government of Canada website where Indigenous suppliers can register their business.
- Government of Canada Tenders – official and free source suppliers should rely on to find Government of Canada tenders. Suppliers can search for new contract opportunities and view previous contracts awarded.
Contact our Indigenous Procurement Coordinator Perry Kocis Perry@businesslink.ca for more information.
Indigenous Arts and Entrepreneur Program
Creating prosperous self-employment opportunities for Indigenous Entrepreneurs
Business Link Indigenous Services is proud to partner with SAAMIS Aboriginal Employment and Training to provide Entrepreneur training in Lethbridge, Alberta. This first of its kind program offers 24 weeks of in-depth entrepreneur curriculum to Indigenous individuals who aspire to start their own business and is conducted in a classroom setting. The participants of the program will graduate with a fully developed business plan that has been reviewed by our amazing staff, a completed marketing plan, finalized financial forecasts and in-depth market research.
This unique program also provides traditional Indigenous arts and crafts training. Our partner, SAAMIS is offering the arts and crafts knowledge in conjunction with our entrepreneurship instruction with the goal of participants graduating with not only business expertise, but inventory of product. Contact our Indigenous Services team for more information on possible future collaboration opportunities on comprehensive Entrepreneur Programming IndigenousServices@businesslink.ca.
Join our Indigenous Business Services Facebook Group and be part of the conversation!